The Benefits of Osteopathy to Relieve Neck Pain
Many of us have felt the perils of neck pain. The bones, ligaments, and muscles of your neck support your head and allow for motion. Like many parts of the body, when your neck is out of alignment, under stress or subjected to injury, it will certainly let you know by way of these common symptoms:
- Stiffness which makes turning your head to the side difficult (i.e. often referred to as a wry neck).
- Pain, tingling or weakness extending down to the shoulders, arms and/or fingers
- Difficulty gripping or lifting objects.
In many cases we can cause neck pain; injury and discomfort to our back and neck simply through bad habits such as:
- Poor posture
- Repetitive motions – turning the head in a repetitive manner leading to overuse of the neck’s muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- Holding the head in an unusual position for long periods causing neck strain.
Also, there are causes that are outside of our control such as accidental injury and degeneration. For example:
- Whiplash – this occurs when a sudden jolt to your neck strains all the muscles, tendons and ligaments past their point of normal motion. This commonly occurs in an auto accident involving a rear-end collision.
- And general deterioration through ageing.
What Can We Do To Help
As osteopathic specialists, we treat our patients holistically. In other words, we look for the cause of the issue, believing that the body can heal itself with the right combination of manual techniques such as massage and the manipulation of muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons to bring the body back to a cohesive whole.
Through osteopathy treatment the body’s natural balance is restored and so healing can begin. Firstly, we look at your complete history, observe how your body functions when you sit, stand and lie down, and carry out a physical examination to determine which areas of the body are healthy and which are in pain. We then write up a personalised treatment plan, which focuses on the following areas to bring about optimum wellbeing.
- Optimise joint mobility
- Reduce muscle tension, inflammation and nerve pain
- Advise on exercise, posture and lifestyle to aid healing and wellbeing
So, if you are suffering from neck or joint pain, Contact us today at Optimum Wellbeing to schedule an appointment with one of our professional Osteopath specialists, ph. 07 5530 7921.
For more information read here Come and see us at Optimum Wellbeing, Worongary, Gold Coast, Osteopathy, Naturopathy and Massage.
07 5530 7921 – Book Now for your appointment and begin your treatment.